View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 04:42 AM  
Peanui
Newborn Pup

Default Help regarding hamster supplements (Oxbow Joint and Urinary support) ...

Hello,

My Syrian hamster Peanui (photo attached) is just over two years of age. A little over 50 days ago, he met with a fateful accident in the hands of his vet and broke one of his hind legs. His leg is now somewhat healed, albeit a somewhat wrong angle. He is walking with his four legs now and is on the way to his recovery. He's also having a UTI issue since these last 2 months. He is on antibiotics (as suggested by his vet). I just wanted to have a third opinion as to whether the following two products from Oxbow are safe for hamsters.

1. Oxbow Natural Science Joint Support: Oxbow Animal Health | Oxbow Animal Health | Natural Science Joint Support Supplement |

Ingredients: Product Facts Per 1 Tab (2 g)

Active Ingredients: Glucosamine (Plant Based): 90 mg, Manna Oligosaccharide (MOS): 40 mg, Turmeric Powder: 22.5 mg, Ginger Root: 18 mg, Yucca Schidigera Extract: 9 mg, Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA): 2 mg

Inactive Ingredients: Timothy Grass, Barley Flour, Oat Groat Flour, Cane Molasses, Flax Seed Meal, Guar Gum, Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Rosemary Extract

2. Oxbow Natural Science Urinary Support for Rabbits, Guinea Pigs and More: Oxbow Animal Health | Oxbow Animal Health | Natural Science Urinary Support Supplement |

Ingredients: Product Facts Per 1 Tab (2g)

Active Ingredients: Glucosamine (Plant Based): 45 mg, Marshmallow Root: 45 mg, Manna Oligosaccharide (MOS): 40 mg, Astragalus Root: 18 mg, Cranberry Extract: 18 mg, Dandelion Leaf: 18 mg, Pumpkin Seed: 9 mg, Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), 2 mg

Inactive Ingredients: Timothy Grass, Barley Flour, Oat Groat Flour, Cane Molasses, Flax Seed Meal, Guar Gum, Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Rosemary Extract

Upon contacting Oxbow, I received the following message.

"Thank you for your patience while I collected the most updated information for you. Both of the supplements are appropriate for hamsters but we do recommend working with your veterinarian to see if they would suggest your hamster use the supplements. Your vet has that personal relationship with your hamster. If your veterinarian suggests that you move forward with the two supplements then the dose to start with would be 1/8 of a tablet, this can be increased up to 1/4 of a tablet if no reactions are noted and it is recommended by your veterinarian. The DHA for both tablets is algae derived."

My hamster's vet also thinks that these are safe for him. However, I am unsure about some of the ingredients.

Do you think I can give these to my hamster, once every few days (or even daily), the 1/8th of the tablet, each?

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Shankha.
Peanui is offline   Reply With Quote