View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 04:21 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Losing fur on belly

I have seen this thinning of fur on the upper chest on most of my dwarf hamsters. It can have many reasons, age related and harmless or it can be a sign of an illness. I really don't want to spekulate on the cause in your hamster because i simply don't know.

When one of my dwarfs has thinning chest fur i check the skin. If the skin looks healthy and there's no excessive scratching or signs of discomfort then i'll wait and see.

If the skin looks red, inflamed, sore or scabby or the hamster scratches a lot in this area then i'll take them to the vet.

A pinch of brown linseeds daily is good for their fur but i'd keep away from fruit. I feed a good dwarf hamster mix, linseeds, mealworms, broccoli, cucumber, spinach, kale, sweetcorn, cauliflower, carrot, peas, bell peppers, romaine lettuce, fresh basil, parsley, all fresh food in moderation. Hamsters have preferences of course, just like humans.

I'm sure you could find a way to keep paper out of his water bowl by placing it on a shelf, platform or flat roofed house.
May i ask why you did a full cage clean? Did you do a complete substrate change?
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote