View Single Post
Old 01-28-2022, 09:09 AM  
Amethyst_ice

Default Re: Ethical Hamster Fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
This ethical hamster fair is new so really one would need to attend one to be able to comment reliably.

I'd happily pay the admission fee to find out what is on offer and what exactly they are trying to advocate.

I don't do social media, tried it once for a short time but couldn't fathom this whole following scenario.

As for hamster shows. I've been to one and frankly, i didn't know what to make of it. Yes, it was very interesting to see all the different hamsters but they were kept in tiny holding boxes without water or food as far as i could see. Surely, this can't be a pleasant experience for the hamster. Then i saw one sprawled out on some kind of a rack while the judges inspected them and thought that this was very undignified to say the least for the hamster.
There was a row of very small cages for sale as well. The kind of cages i would try and rescue hamsters from.

I do not have issues with ethical breeders i may add and understand the importance of breeding hamsters for health and temperament and to continue their lines. I have a pedigree dwarf myself for this very same reason but is it really necessary to make a public spectacle of them so the breeder can win a rosette?

I think simply by calling it an ethical hamster show, automatically denotes "regular" shows are enethical, which I firstly take concern over.

Regarding the pens, Souffle can hopefully input more detail here as a qualified judge, and it has been some time since I attended a show! However, usually, a piece of fruit or veg with water content such as apple or cucumber is placed in the pen as well as a dog biscuit. This is the same for many shows, I know in the rat show world it is the same.

The pens are small, yes, but some shows can have over 100 enteries so to have a standard pen size allows planning and logistics and makes showing fair. The hamsters usually curl up and go to sleep and owners bring larger tanks to transport the hamsters to and from shows. They are usually not in the judging pens for more than a few hours as once judging is over,they are released for owners to move and give food, water bottle etc I know I personal "tank train" my rats weeks before a show and if any rat shows distress I simply will not enter him.

The mesh is useful to view the whole hamster and underneath. I used to put my hamster on a rat show pen mesh lid to cut his nails! The judges clean their hands between each hamster and often have snuggles with all, remember everyone loves hamsters so they are not treated as just clinical beings.

The purpose of the shows is not simply to gain rosettes. Wihle some people do become "rosette and trophy collectors", the ethos of hamster shows is to improve the fancy, set standards, share knowledge and allow people to show off and enjoy their hamsters.

Remember, it is not only breeders to who enter shows, many pet owners enter their hamsters in shows too. The stalls available at shows do vary yes and it would be impractical to bring large tanks and HH to shows. I haven;t been for a while but I remember I did get my largest wheel at a show as online at the time was poor.

The shows are also a good opportunity to "hamster train" hamsters, meet other people and for breeders to exchange hamsters to better or continue their lines.

I personally loved them as it was an opportunity to see a variety of hamster types. I always remeber being shocked quite how big syrians were and how "square" they are, compared to tiny "Mousey" syrians I had been used to from pet shops.

They often give talks and demos, I was taught how to teeth check.

I still think it is incredibly expensive, also given that York for many is very far and expensive to get to on public transport. WIth no actual hamsters being their, I am struggling a little to understand the costs.

One thing I like about shows is they are free for the public to wander into and browse and this in turn increases the awareness of hamster keeping