View Single Post
Old 01-21-2022, 07:29 AM  
julie020
Hamster Pup

Default Cage in living room

Hello - I'm not new here but haven't had a hamster for some years but need some advice if anyone can help. Sorry if this is long!

I have a newish long haired white hamster called snowball (original I know)

I have had him for 4 weeks - he has a hamster heaven cage with 2 wheels and one saucer wheel, 2 sand baths - 3 hideouts/beds and a tube, plus just the one level at the moment.

I've read so many conflicting comments about my first concern!

Here are my concerns:

1.) I have always kept my hammies in my bedroom, but I can't anymore as I don't sleep well. Whilst I have silent wheels, its the rest that wakes me - drinking from bottles, climbing bars - clattering around etc. So he's in a room next to the living room with the TV - but it's an open plan room so he can still hear the TV although he's not too close to it. My mum with Dementia watches TV all day - not loud! The only days Snowball gets a break from this and total silence during the day is Sunday - Monday - and Wednesday when she goes out with carers.

My question: Do you think he'll get used to this? I half cover his cage with a thick blanket to help muffle noise - do you think this is reasonable or right? I worry about blocking natural light.

2.) As I mentioned he is in a hamster heaven - but when I got him home he was quite stressed so I only put the first level on - not the upper level and upper tubes/penthouse etc - in fact I put the penthouse on ground floor which he is using as a bed.

My question: Do you think he'll freak out if I add the upper levels now or too soon maybe! I have managed to play with him in his pen twice but he comes out one day then the next I don't see him at all! So he's semi - tamed at the moment and I don't want to set him back!

Thank you for reading and any comments would be welcome!
Julie
julie020 is offline   Reply With Quote