Thread: Sexing a dove
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 10:42 AM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Sexing a dove

I know this is a hamster forum, and a bizarre place to ask, but I thought maybe someone does have experience with birds here. I’m not really bothered if no one is sure as I’ve read a lot online saying the only sure way to know is with a dna test and I love them either way. I just thought someone might be able to tell through appearance.

They’re a Eurasian Collared dove, we got them when it was really windy outside the nest was completely destroyed and it’s sibling had died from the fall. We thought maybe male at first so called him Filbert, we did leave him outside for three hours twice to see if the mother would return but never did. So we took him in must’ve been only a few days old.

Now as he has grown we wonder if he is a she and changed her name to jillbert lol, due to her thin neck and flat head. But recently found out bowing and cooing is a male mating call, and I tried to feel the pelvis, it feels round but not 100% sure I’m feeling it right.

I’ll add some pics, any clue would be nice but love them either way, just would be cool to know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dove 1.jpg (1.81 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Dove 2.JPG (2.18 MB, 8 views)
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote