View Single Post
Old 01-19-2022, 11:24 AM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Coco soil vs sand as toilet

Okay I’m glad I did what I did today now! I bought more sand but play sand instead, I’ve washed it and am currently baking it, I’ll sieve it after but I’ve heard a lot of people use this instead and as it’s for a toilet not cleaning I think it should be fine.

I didn’t actually know that you could reuse sand, I don’t know if it would’ve worked with hers though because she does kick some paper bedding in it I guess to cover it. So I don’t know if this would’ve been easy to separate from the sand especially when damp. I’m happy to try this play sand though, more work but I’m doing a decent amount now so should last. I might try reusing it.

I did however also grab some coco coir anyway and am going to section off a part of her enclosure and see how she likes it for a change. This way she has diversity but shouldn’t upset her toilet habits. It is in a brick form as I didn’t see any other sort in the shop but I’m about to watch a video to make sure I put the right amount of water in. Very excited to see what it’s like! I’ll definitely use your suggestion of hiding seeds and insects in there as well, I hadn’t even thought of that but it’s a brilliant idea.

Thank you for all your advice!
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote