View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 02:43 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Hello! Back after 1 year :)

It's the same here in the UK. Pet shops actively encourage people to buy dwarfs in pairs, sell tiny cages, tiny wheels and hamster balls. In short, they are doing their best to give hamsters an unhappy life.

I sometimes foster and rehome hamsters and currently have a Robo from a "same sex" pair that had babies so he was returned to the pet shop and ended up in the adoption tank. I had a number of dwarfs who had started to fight so one was returned and i had a dwarf with a long scar from where he had been attacked by his cage mate.

If i were in your situation, i'd make a bin cage or buy a second hand cage then house one in there and rehome myself if you don't have the space for two large enclosures.

How big is your aquarium? If it is a very large one then maybe a secure devider could be another option.

I struggle to rehome the hamsters sometimes because i get attached and keep far too many myself but i make 100% sure that their forever home with people who want to adopt them is suitable.

I can't imagine returning one to the pet shop though so don't be surprised if you can't bring yourself to do that.

So sorry to post a reply that distresses you but i thought it necessary to make you aware of what could happen.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote