View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 02:33 AM  
Azula
Hamster Pup

Exclamation Bloated tummy / possibly coughing?

Hi guys!
I'm in desparate need of help. First let me introduce my hamster Aloy. She's a russian dwarf (most likely a hybrid) and she's over two, but barely.
She started behaving strangely couple of days ago as in doesn't run in her wheel anymore or when she does it's in minutes at best. She's been doing a lot of clicking noise lately. She's still eating normally and since she pees in her sandbox I can see she pees regularely.

Her tummy is a bit bloated so I've taken her to the vet yesterday and he examined her, but unfortunately said he can't really feel anything in that bloatness and didn't prescribe her anything since she's still eating normally and other than that behaves normal (but I fear she might have masked her symptoms). Unfortunately I live in a s**thole where we don't have exotic vets and the vet I've taken her to is actually a vet who has done hamster surgeries before such as tumor removal. He said it's really hard to tell exactly what's wrong with her since non of them have apropriate equipment for examining hamsters sicne almost no one ever takes a hamster to a vet here... I have a "hamergency" fund for vet trips and would gladly pay whatever needs be, but he ended up charging me nothing cause he felt he wasn't much help. That was my worst fear - not being given any meds.
He said she is well behaved as in didn't panick like some hamsters do when being examined and that her fur is good looking for a hamster her age.

I recorded a video of her so in case anyone might resognise what this behaviour is (maybe coughing) and if I should go to the vet again and try to get some meds (even tho idk if they give hamsters here anything other than baytril).

You will notice how she sways back and forth in the video when eating. That's something she started doing recently. Also she has had that bump on her back since she was little, so that was always there.

Thanks in advance peeps!

VID_20220118_101200.mp4 - Google Drive

EDIT: I'm probably gonna take her to another vet to get a second opinion, but if you could let me know what to ask them as in if you think she's coughing or maybe needs painkillers do let me know cause I can almost guarantee you awesome peeps here know more than these vets do about hamsters.

Last edited by Azula; 01-18-2022 at 03:30 AM.
Azula is offline   Reply With Quote