View Single Post
Old 01-08-2022, 02:15 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Metacam dosage?!

Sounds like his teeth are ok then . If they were overgrown a lot they can’t open the mouth properly to eat. Baby food. Yes the 4 months ones tend to not have onion, spices and tomato. I used to get two or three that were ok - the cow and gate chicken Sunday lunch is fine (that keeps 2 days in the fridge so you can use it for three days. Most are only 24 hours so you can only use them for two days (with 24 hours in between). So yes it can lead to wastage. Some people used to freeze small amounts of baby food in Ice cube trays and just take a cube out each day. But I’ve noticed some baby foods also say not suitable for freezing these days. So then you’re wasting some. It adds a bit to a weekly good bill as well. But you could give baby food for half the week and porridge the other half (cheaper). I just go with the wastage as it’s often bit for that long when they’re older (sadly) - maybe a few months. The other one I get is Hipp chicken and pumpkin. Some don’t seem to be available any more. I stick with the savoury ones as most of the sweet ones have lemon juice in.

I did get Ella’s kitchens strawberry baby porridge though (dry - you mix it) partly because it’s easier and quicker to mix.

I think any hemp seeds are fine but I get the Linwoods shelled hemp seeds. H&B sell most of the linwoods stuff - for humans to put on their cereals! It’s kind of fluffy and nutty and they seem to really like it.

Metacam - hmm. Vets vary on this. I think an older hamster should stay on it, if they improve with it. But I have had vets refuse to prescribe it long term. It can gradually affect kidneys if they’re on it a long time. But heck they are getting older and need the pain relief and their kidneys start to be affected anyway with old age.

Maybe the vet is hoping a course of treatment will right something. Other vets will be keen on using Metacam long term with an older hamster rather than risk them suffering as they hide pain so well.

Maybe you could find another exotic vet for another opinion. Or you could try just saying to this vet that you want to keep your hamster on Metacam for comfort as he perked up a lot with it.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote