View Single Post
Old 01-07-2022, 06:10 AM  
ShadowNinjaHamster

Default Re: My hamster just attacked me for the first time ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I’ve just caught up with this. Glad he’s not biting any more. As Zedrobber says, don’t take it personally. It sounds to me like something had stressed him. Could it be changed in the environment over Christmas? More noises, Christmas tree in the room etc? Keep an eye on him. You maybe have been invading his space a bit - don’t spot clean too often. Although maybe you need to if you’ve kept the substrate low so he can’t get through the bars. Really the cage needs meshing so he can’t get out through the bars - and more substrate adding which will make him happier.

The fact he started bar chewing as well as biting sounds like stress. Can you think of anything that could suddenly have stressed him?

They are very precious about their cage environment and particularly their nest and hoard and like to move substrate around etc. So be careful not to spot clean too much or disturb his nest and hoard - or yes he will start to feel invaded and stressed.

Can you do something about his cage? Either mesh it or use a different cage? It’s very risky having large bar spacing and he could like substrate up to get out.
I didn't have Christmas tree, nor candles or anything. Everything stayed the same. I don't know what got into him. He's back to normal again. I don't know what was wrong. Maybe he had a bad mood and wanted to be left alone? Maybe he needed to think about his life? I don't know.

The thing is, he barely even wants to come out and he's not too excited about his play pen or being anywhere else. I don't know if I'm a bad owner or it's just the way it is, but when I put him in playpen he's there for like 10 minutes and then he wants to leave. I can put new toys and new things there but he's not even looking at them.

I don't think I can do anything about the cage and other cages are smaller. Everything has been just fine so far, I don't think he'll escape. He doesn't really want to leave his cage either and when I bring him on hand back to his cage he starts running towards it while he's on my hand.

He doesn't chew bars anymore. The only thing that worries me is that he barely uses his wheel, but another thing is I cant even hear the wheel, so I don't know what he's doing at nights.
ShadowNinjaHamster is offline   Reply With Quote