Thread: Hamster house
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2022, 02:13 PM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Hamster house

So last night I struggled to sleep through Mitzi banging her head against her shelf to push her bedding through the gap for some strange reason! So now she’s taken most the bedding from her base and it’s stuffed inside a jar and on the shelf.

To be honest though it has got me thinking I need to make her a better house. I made her previous one out of popsicle sticks (as you can see from the picture) I was worried about length but she ripped the sides off herself and has built outward anyway. She has a tub next to to it filled with sand for her bathroom which I think she likes both being under the shelf.

My idea is, take the slide out, make a large box across the entire width of the cage but sticks out no further than the shelf. Have a removable lid, and a floor on one half and no floor on the other to allow room for the bathroom.

What I’m trying to decide is what to make it out of. I have no power tools, a very basic weak saw though. In an ideal world something cheap, easy to cut, waterproof so easy to clean. I can do it out of popsicle sticks but I find it quite fiddly personally and is easy to break. Also I made a popsicle floor for my old hamster and it’s not easy to clean. I heard some places cut wood to size but I don’t know where or adhesive to use for wood. Currently I use non-toxic white pva glue. Acrylic or plastic is both possible but I worry about sharp edges. Cardboard becomes saturated and chewed too quickly.

Even if there’s a hamster safe varnish that makes something more waterproof. I don’t want to exceed around £15 because guinea pig homes cost that and would work. Just it would be nice to have one that maximises space.
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote