View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 08:52 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: My hamster just attacked me for the first time ever

I’ve just caught up with this. Glad he’s not biting any more. As Zedrobber says, don’t take it personally. It sounds to me like something had stressed him. Could it be changed in the environment over Christmas? More noises, Christmas tree in the room etc? Keep an eye on him. You maybe have been invading his space a bit - don’t spot clean too often. Although maybe you need to if you’ve kept the substrate low so he can’t get through the bars. Really the cage needs meshing so he can’t get out through the bars - and more substrate adding which will make him happier.

The fact he started bar chewing as well as biting sounds like stress. Can you think of anything that could suddenly have stressed him?

They are very precious about their cage environment and particularly their nest and hoard and like to move substrate around etc. So be careful not to spot clean too much or disturb his nest and hoard - or yes he will start to feel invaded and stressed.

Can you do something about his cage? Either mesh it or use a different cage? It’s very risky having large bar spacing and he could like substrate up to get out.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote