View Single Post
Old 12-30-2021, 08:21 PM  
cherryfox22
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Help me get rescued syrians in better cages! Need advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
The proper diet in the US is Higgins Vita Garden(not Sunburst as the dried fruit isn't appropriate for hamsters as part of a daily diet among other things), and added to that you should give roughly a pinch of flax seed a day and Pure Bites - not too many, the shrimp are the best but chicken and turkey are also great options.

Petsupermarket do carry the Savic Hamster Heaven which could work with all the plastic bits removed, or you could make a bin cage from an Iris Christmas tree bin. Even better you would be able to make an even larger DIY cage, but in this situation it really is far more important to have at least something decently sized as soon as possible that is completely secure!
Really? Gosh darn it, I was going to do that, but then I read forum post or article somewhere saying that vita garden was not recommended, but sunburst was? I thought it was somewhere on this forum. So then I swapped it out.

No one mentioned that shrimp Pure Bites would be best, I only saw the chicken ones ever mentioned. I can give my dog the chicken ones then, I'm sure she will eat them. My cat is picky, doubt he would touch them.

Does it need to be whole flaxseeds or is ground okay?

Just to confirm, THE BEST (that can be bought, ideally on Amazon) food for syrian hamsters is the higgins vita garden, with shrimp Pure Bites, and a pinch of flaxseeds daily? Since they are 4-5mo old, do they need anything different than an adult? Since their nutrition has been so poor, I want to try to fix that now.

Another poster said to just get Hazel Hamster, would that be better?

I updated in another post before responding to yours, but I actually got an xmas tree bin from Target today for each of them Picked up some mesh to make a dome lid, zip ties, and a sauter iron and crittertrail playpen panels will arrive in the mail over the next couple of days.

Last edited by cherryfox22; 12-30-2021 at 08:32 PM.
cherryfox22 is offline   Reply With Quote