View Single Post
Old 12-30-2021, 08:03 PM  
cherryfox22
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Help me get rescued syrians in better cages! Need advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Hi there. Sorry to say I wouldn’t go with any of the cages linked above by Cherry. The bar spacing needs to be 1cm or less (no bigger than half inch in US) or they can escape. The Favola cage is far too small - even for a dwarf hamster - and not a suitable layout.

A shame you can’t keep them and it’s great you want them in better conditions before the go to the rescue. I would have thought a good rescue would have their own, suitable sized cages actually. If they haven’t, then would it be possible for you to do what you’re doing (rehousing them in better cages) and rehomong then yourself by advertising? Specifying a minimum 80 x 50 cm cage?

Anyway going with your initial post - yes Syrians do need at least 80 x 50 cm floorspace. However not so many years ago there were some reasonable 60 x 40 or 70 x 40 cages that, if set up right, would do (as in people on here used to use the Savic Bristol cage which is 60 x 40 but set up with a couple of levels yet still not too tall). These days it would be classed as too small but for something better than they are in now I would try and go with something at least 65 x 40 and about 40 cm tall.

I actually have a holiday cage that’s 68 x 40 and 35cm tall (bigger than the Favola) but when set up carefully our Syrian has been perfectly happy in it (however that is with regular oit if cage time).

To cut to the chase, if you can afford it the best option would be to get either the Lixit Hamster Heaven or Lixit Mickey 2XL from Amazon - same cage, different bar spacing and contents. The Mickey 2XL has narrow bar spacing for smaller hansters but needs less adjusting as it doesn’t come with all the unnecessary (and unsuitable) external tubes.

They usually cost about $125. Amazon also used to sell the Prevue cage which is ideal and costs a lot less - but has been out of stock for a long time. The pandemic has created a situation where cages are often out of stock.

I’ve looked on Amazon.com and the Mickey 2XL doesn’t seem to be available. The Hamster Heaven and Prevue cages are in stock but only from external sellers (not from Amazon themselves) and at extortionate prices! The Prevue cage (which used to be about $6 is for sale at $153. I’ve linked it anyway so you can see what it looks like - size, dimensions etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Pet-Pr...%2C481&sr=8-15

The Hamster Heaven is out of the question. Being sold at $250 ish ! Again linked so you can see what it looks like.

https://www.amazon.com/Lixit-Animal-...%2C1587&sr=8-3

Cages in the US are difficult to find at the best of times (suitable ones) which is why many US Hamster owners use glass tanks or make bin cages (which in your case aren’t portable - except bin cages maybe - but that involves a fair bit of diy.

I do remember something called the big one? A newish cage a bit like the habitrails that was a decent size - off to look …..

Nope - can’t find it.

There is one I know of that is a good option for now - about 75cm x 40cm - it’s the Fop Tamburino Perspex tank style cage (equivalent to the duna multy in the uk or the zoo zone 1). It’s not on Amazon. It’s only sold by Abbaseed. I think it’s your best bet - reasonably priced and will take an 8” diameter wheel.

tamburino
Thank you so much for this very thorough response!!

I actually AM keeping them now <3 They are currently in 2 separate bin cages, they scuffled (no blood drawn, but clearly needed to be separated ASAP, so my partner went to Wal-Mart and got another water bottle as they had them shockingly). They aren't huge, but easily 2-3x large than their previous cage, they have 5" of bedding, shredded toilet paper to nest in, fresh water and food, and carboard boxes to climb on, so a significant improvement of quality of life.

My partner was very "no, we are NOT having them" initially (since we already have a dog, a cat, I have 2 fish aquariums (20 gal long planted betta tank, 40 gal saltwater with 2 "nemo" clownfish and a tiny yellow goby-I always try to provide over the minimum for all my caged/aquarium pets) but over the course of the last few days I have managed to convince him (lots of foot and neck massages, making yummy meals, etc. to persuade) to let me keep them. Got approval from apartment complex yesterday morning, and last night, he gave me his answer and said yes!!!

I feel so bad you spent so much time posting all those habitat options above.

I was going to go with this cage https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Homes...59&sr=8-4&th=1 (39.5 x 23.75 x 19.75 inches) and then mesh it w/ 1/4" mesh and zip ties like I have done a ferret cage for ratters before, but decided the 5.5" depth of the base was too shallow in case they wanted to burrow, and the fact that I would have to mesh the whole thing which is a pain, sounded like too much work.

So, I cancelled my order this morning, and....drum roll....decided to go with a christmas tree storage container to make a bin cage!!

I raced over to my local target this morning to get 2 of them, but they were out of stock! So, I ordered 2 at a store 36 miles away instead online, and picked them up today. It was SUPER windy and they almost blew away getting them to the car, and I was scared they weren't going to fit, but we managed to get them in safe and sound.

This is the bin, dimensions are 57"x20"x15" roughly, it doesn't taper too bad either. 200qt Latching Tree Box - Wondershop™ : Target

I picked up some of their kaytee natural clean and cozy bedding, which is getting left in the car overnight to freeze any bad things. Got 6 bags of it, but will probably need more I think. Luckily, Target is only a 5 min drive away.

I also got them some bird millet sprays that I used to get my mouse that seem okay for hamsters too.

I got some 1/4" spaced mesh (the metal stuff, not plastic or coated) and white zip ties from Home Depot tonight.

I ordered the crittertrail playpen and a sauter iron from Amazon (found an article where someone recommended a $10 sauter iron to cut the plastic, rather than a drill/heated knife/etc), which arrive in the next couple of days.

I looked up some different ways to make a bin cage, and I want to make a mesh arch like the image attached below, that way I can fit a 12" wheel in each cage.

I am going to do the domed mesh roof, and then I am going to use the critter trail playpen panels to make windows near the top on the sides, and cut out the 2 doors from the stupid critter trail cage to make front doors on the bin cages as well.

I got them sunburst higgins and the recommended freeze dried cat treats to mix in for protein boost (was gonna do the mazuri rat and mouse, but read they both have sugar so better to do the chicken if they like it)

I'm hoping I will be able to get them in their new cages this weekend, but if mail is delayed due to bad weather it might not be until Tuesday.

I don't shop at any pet stores that sell animals/with any companies that sell animals, so I have to wait for things from Amazon to arrive.

I am going to get their 12" wheels tomorrow after I get paid, along with a couple other toys/hideys, but will have to wait for a couple more weeks to really deck out their cages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 269722634_495606895185784_8786564824381889639_n.jpg (99.3 KB, 2 views)
cherryfox22 is offline   Reply With Quote