View Single Post
Old 12-28-2021, 02:14 PM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Help me get rescued syrians in better cages! Need advice!

More experienced people will respond, but to give a rough answer here’s what I know I can tell you.

Syrians need a minimum of 80cm x 50cm continuous floor space and should be no higher than 50cm I believe, to avoid injury from falls. I think they say for Syrians you can have a 20cm wheel but I’d honestly just get 28cm or bigger.

Chew toys are essential and a big home to sleep in, a shoebox with a hole cut out of it would be fine. You need 6 inches of bedding for burrowing. I can try and find some links but I won’t know many.

Also pine wood shavings is not safe because it can cause respiratory issues and also contains natural insecticides which could indirectly impact your hamsters. You can use shavings like aspen or as you say carefresh. I use Katee clean and cosy and Fitch is also a good paper based bedding.

I will add it’s really kind what you’re doing but it may cost a lot if you’re only having them for a week. 100% agree you need to keep them separate but even for now using a large container box with ventilation would be better than what they have now. Or instead of buying new I got mine on Facebook marketplace or have a look on gumtree if you’re in the UK.
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote