View Single Post
Old 12-27-2021, 04:00 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Blood in hamster's urinary tract (please advise) ...

I think that sounds like a good idea getting an appointment tomorrow. At 23 months he is quite elderly as well. A two year old hamster is the equivalent of an 80 year old human. And gradually things can start to pack up. Kidneys beginning to fail is common in older hamsters (signs of this are drinking and peeing a lot more). But they tend to just carry on, like humans. They can get arthritis and toothache as well. Any sign of blood is, as you know, more of an acute issue. It’s a common sign of urinary tract infections but could be something else as well.

In view of his age I don’t think you really want to be having a lot of stressful procedures and hopefully the antibiotics will start to work. I would also ask the vet to prescribe some Metacam as well - it’s anti inflammatory and the only real pain relief for hansters. He is likely to be having some pain if he’s passing blood and they are very good at hiding it. The anti inflammatory can also help in a number of ways.

If it’s a kidney infection (a sign of that can be blood in the urine as well) then it may take the full course of antibiotics, or a change of antibiotics. I would ask the vet about that too. Ie the possibility of it being a kidney infection and if this is the right antibiotic for it if it is. (I say that having recently had a kidney infection myself! It was very painful initially and needed a broad spectrum antibiotic).

There are limited antibiotics that can be used with hamsters but there are others that can be used.

Thinking positive, if he started with discharge, hopefully it’s nothing too serious. But medication is the only option really.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote