View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 10:02 PM  
harmony

Exclamation HELP!!!!!! *URGENT*Scared I traumatized a hamster

Hello guys. Today my aunt adopted a hamster named Harmony for her two daughters as a Christmas present. Harmony is 8 months old and I think she has had a previous owner hence the adoption. My aunt brought her home and she was in a cardboard box (from Petco) and we were setting up her cage at my house because tomorrow my cousins are coming over and they will get to take the hamster home. Once we set it up my aunt opened the box Harmony was in so I could put her in her new cage. I tried to scoop her up with two hands but the moment I did she jumped out of my arms. We were in my garage and so she basically ran away and was hiding in a bunch of corners and areas that were probably massive and cold and dark to her. We chased her for so long and my aunt was screaming the whole time and I felt so bad because we had to corner her and then grab her and we were moving a bunch of huge boxes and picture frames to get her out of the spaces she was crawling into. (the reason why we were in the garage was that I have a dog and she barks a lot so we didn't want to stress the hamster out so we set everything up in the garage. But that backfired because of what happened.) Then the moment I picked her up my aunt also grabbed her and we both were holding her with both of our hands and Harmony started screaming and she pooped all over me. We ended up putting her back in the Petco box because we were panicking and so scared that she was going to run away again. Then we put the Petco box opening by the cage opening and slowly let her crawl into the cage. The first thing she did when she got in was she began eating some food and she crawled around the space. Then after a while, she started trying to get out again. I felt so bad because I feel like I held her too hard when I had finally caught her because she screamed and she pooped on me or I traumatized her but I would never ever purposefully hurt an animal (i literally have a pet dog I love dearly) I also tried to be so gentle but the first time I picked up she jumped out of my hands and I had such a hard time holding her because I was afraid to squish her but she kept jumping away when I was gentle. Also, I know that hamsters scream when they're angry, scared, or in pain and I really hope I didn't hurt her. What should I do?? Will she be okay?
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote