View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 08:20 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Question regarding Baytril for Syrian hamster (Urgent!!!)

If the vet says it’s ok to give it orally then I guess it is. Baytril tastes nasty even when it’s the oral version and they won’t usually take it unless the taste is disguised. If you have some honey you could try a tiny bit of that on a little plate (I use a jar lid). Less than pea sized because you need the hamster to eat all of it. So maybe very small pea sized blob and drop the Med on top of that and stir it in a bit with a cocktail stick or similar. But so the meds are still on top “ish” - you don’t want to stir it down to the bottom or the hamster might not get it all.

I would do that rather than dilute it. I use meaty dog food to disguise the taste - it needs to be something with a strong flavour that they can’t resist. 0.03 ml is a very small amount - you should have a 1ml syringe with 10 markings on. Each one of those 10 is 0.1 ml. Each one of those 10 has 10 smaller markings. 0.03 ml is 3 of those smaller markings - the amount is about a drop and a half if you can imagine that.

The important thing is that they get the full dose at about the same time each day, and finish the course.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote