View Single Post
Old 12-17-2021, 08:27 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Newbie in need of lots of advice please!

It is very early days and your hamster needs time to settle in. Depending on the hamster's personality, i talk to them only for the first week or two.

You could put some tissue up your sleeve for a few hours then tear it up and place it in your hamster's habitat. She may well use it for nesting material. It will help to introduce your scent to her.

I've had a dwarf who was tame and sociable with me from day one and i have a rescue Syrian who was terrified of hands and took six weeks to learn to trust me. It took a lot of time and patience but he became a very tame and confident hamster.

I think that feeding and talking leading to feeding and touching works with hamsters as well.

Personally, i introduce short taming sessions increasing to longer sessions out of the cage and never put my hand inside a not tame hamster. Reason being that i believe that a hamster's habitat is their territory i do not wish to intrude. People tame in different ways and my methods work for me but may not work for someone else.

You need to find a way you and your hamster feels comfortable with and be guided by your hamster and not necessarily youtube or books. As you say, information is confusing and often conflicting.

You are on this forum now and people share their experiences which i found to be a huge help when i got my first hamster in spring 2019.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote