View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 07:08 PM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Bioactive hamster cage?

This is actually an interesting topic I’ve thought about myself (not doing I’m wayyyyy to squeamish of bugs!) but I might have an idea where you’re idea came from:

ep.0) True Naturalistic Hamster Cage (no wood bedding) - YouTube

I watched this a while back as it stumped me even then because as has been said I was confused how soil is a safe substrate in such a large amount, also how humidity was controlled. But there’s positive comments and I tend to find people who watch hamster videos genuinely have a care for hamster welfare.

Is this what you were thinking of BooTheFearless, and if so is it acceptable? I just thought the video if it is what you were thinking might help cover all basis of what would be included.

Also I love you want to expand your hamster care and I’m not experienced like other people commenting but I really think you can give your hamster a fantastic eco home using well known safe substrate without the worry of other things being okay. I’ve seen so many fantastic homes on one thread on here called “let’s see your cages!” especially on later pages are incredible.

I just do sort of agree that the nature they were originally in will be very different to what your trying to produce and given that hamsters have a very long background of being bred for captivity, they’re used to a very different environment now. Like at hibernation (tapor? I think it’s called) they don’t always successfully come out of it whereas the first ancestors would’ve repeatedly successfully done and I think it’s one example of how breeding for captivity has altered the way they’d cope in a natural environment. A well prepared enclosure is probably safer than a natural one given the fact they’re no longer genetically engineered to cope in a natural environment.
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote