Thread: Foster hamsters
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2021, 06:40 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Foster hamsters

The way i see it is that sometimes it simply has to be done for a health check or in Pixie's case, a nail trim.

I tame, hold and check hamsters outside their cages because their homes are their territories.

Pixie run into her sandbath which is a bonbon jar and i put a small hamster transport ball with the same size opening containing treats in front of it. Pixie walked in to get the treat and i put the lid on to carry her upstairs. I sat in a safe area with a flannel on my lap and gently tipped Pixie out of the ball and picked her up inside the flannel. I held her in my palm, opened the flannel, picked her up and held her as shown in the photo.
Robos stay still and don't wriggle like other hamsters. I think it's a defence mechanism because they are so tiny. "I'm not moving so you can't see and eat me".

Obviously, they vary depending on their personalities. I chat to them and gently stroke their heads while holding them. Rupert looked angry and would squeak at the slightest stroke but stopped when i stopped stroking him. I stroked him once more and he promptly squeaked again so i skipped that.
Pixie was more tolerant and i stroked her even while she sat in my hand. It's a good way for me to assess foster hamsters personalities which is important when rehoming.

Personally, i think the key for physical interaction is to do it on neutral ground.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote