View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 01:58 PM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Does the platform feet have to stand on the base of the cage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
The bendy bridges should be fine on their side as its an Eco habitat, not a cage. But if there is concern about them being fallen on you can just stick bits of hemp mat along the top (seen that done). Just cut a strip off a hemp mat. I stick it on with a bit of plastikote but elmer's school glue would do fine too (if it's a very thin amount and doesn't ooze).
Sadly it doesn't have to be a cage for the bendy bridges to be dangerous on their sides. I remember even once hearing about an incident that I believe happened with bendy bridges on their side in a detolf - it's the bendy bridges themselves having gaps, holes, etc that are very dangerous when climbed over that causes this problem. It wasn't really a case of hamsters monkey barring and falling onto something or anything like that, they simply do normal hamster things and climb over a bendy bridge on its side and unfortunately accidents happen with them way too easily.

Hemp mat could potentially help, but even then it would be important to carefully monitor those often to make sure the bendy bridge isn't exposed on the top. I would personally not take the risk and go the lower maintenance route and just use a safe solid material in the first place!
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote