View Single Post
Old 11-25-2021, 08:41 PM  
chonkchonkham
Newborn Pup

Default Hamster genetics

Hi all, I'm new to hamster hideout forum. I'm from Mexico and I currently own a syrian hamster living in a DIY cage. I would like to breed hamsters so I am learning about the genetics behind breeding. This will be in the future but I like to read about genetics and diseases of hamsters after work.

I've decided I wanted to breed black tortoiseshells, dove, cream, and yellow blacks. There is a problem though because cream and yellow do not mix well. From my research, cream will cover up a yellow hamster and that hamster will not look yellow and will look cream. Is this accurate/am I getting this correct? In addition, will cream cover/mask yellow if cream is a recessive gene in only ONE of the parents? For instance if there was a dove male who carried cream, black, cinnamon and he was bred with a black tort who carries cinnamon, black, dove: will their offspring that are yellow and tortoiseshells ALL be affected because of that cream gene, or only some? If there is a yellow is masked by cream, how will this affect the offspring? Will the offspring continued to be masked by cream?

Similarly, if a golden umbrous male (who carries cream) was bred with a black tortoiseshell (who does not carry umbrous or cream or mink or sable) would their pups all be masked by the cream and the umbrous from the father? How would I be able to tell if there are any yellow or tortoiseshells? Or is that impossible to do so.

I do want to avoid umbrous, sable, mink and will avoid cream if I absolutely must.
chonkchonkham is offline   Reply With Quote