View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 12:46 PM  
velma

Default Re: Hamster with cancer

Hi. Welcome to HC.

I'm sorry to hear about Yamper. That really is a sizeable lump. I think really, with a lump that size, even if he did live for a while without surgery, how much of a problem would it cause him? And what is the medication dong for him? I had a hamster a few years ago who developed a tumour on his shoulder which very quickly meant he had trouble cleaning his eye on that side and had trouble navigating lumpy bedding as he couldn't extend his leg, which would only have got worse. Is Yamper having trouble getting food or cleaning himself? I think the best thing is to speak to your vet for an honest conversation about what they think Yamper's chances are for surviving surgery and the anaesthetic while you weigh it up. In my case, the vet felt due to my hamster's age and things like that, that the kindest thing to do was to put him to sleep. It's a very hard decision to make, but this case it was the right thing to do. Sorry, that sounds doom and gloom but what I'm really trying to say is speak to your vet about realistic outcomes for surgery and for not surgery and work out what would be kindest thing for Yamper. You love Yamper so whatever you decide will be the right thing.
velma is offline   Reply With Quote