View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 11:55 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: New Syrian...how to prioritise cage contents...

It can be best to get one from a breeder, so the hamster has gone straight from Mum to their new home. But even hamsters who've been used to being handled from birth will need a bit of taming - because it's a change of person and environment.

It's probably going to be hard to find one from a breeder at this time of year - I think most litters tend to be spring time. And not so many official breeders breeding it seems.

I also agree that a rescue can be a good option. Good rescues often have litters of baby hamsters and have handled them and treated them well.

Although to be honest, any baby hamster could be a bit frustrating for the kids as they are a bit scared and skitty as babies until fully tamed. My stepson was 6 when we got our first hamster and all he wanted to do was hold and cuddle it - and it took 2 months! To be able to do that. Of hand taming in the dry bathtub every 2 or 3 days. But once it happened it happened and suddenly he was very easy to handle and pick up.

On the other hand, if you can set up a playpen then someone can sit in the playpen with the hamster - the hamster runs over your legs etc - so gets used to human presence and scent.

I think they make a wonderful family pet for all the family to feel the hamster is a new member of the family. But the burden of care falls on you lol!

So for my part, I did most of the taming and looking after until the hamster was pick upable - and even then you need constant supervision - which I'm sure you know, as children can be a bit heavy handed and need to be shown how to pick them up and hold them carefully (my stepson used to want to instinctively hold on when the hamster tried to move away and I had to teach him to let him go and then just pick him up again).

Their personalities vary a lot. Some are quite maverick and outgoing. Some are shy.

I seem to remember from when Lila was looking, that there aren't many hamster rescues in Essex. So suggest you try contacting Tuftyfluffs (but yes she can be slow to reply).

And also look on gumtree and pets4homes websites. Because you often find a young hamster for rehoming that is already quite tame - either someone is allergic or something.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote