View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 05:07 AM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Re: New Syrian...how to prioritise cage contents...

I’m from Essex! I believe Tuftyfluff hamsters is the closest registered one to us in borehamwood although not many people hear a response from her. When I was looking for one around a month ago she hadn’t responded but from what I heard she had been in hospital! So I hope she’s better now ��

I don’t think they’re registered but these two are qualified breeders with certificates, Roma hamstery and twilight hamstery. Roma hamstery is based in Harlow and when I messaged Nicole from there she said she’d been having difficulty since the male was afraid of the female hamster and she didn’t want to put them under stress to breed. So she wasn’t sure if she was going to be doing it anymore.

She also recommended me Amberhill hamstery in Glasgow which is where she got her hammies from, she used a service on Facebook called ‘Guinea pig transport’ with a green logo. Now if you are REALLY stuck I thought of doing this because if you can get in contact with any breeder, this transport service might help although there is a base charge of £60 from any location. She did though quote me this price for breeders that were a 3 hour drive away so is highly reasonable!

Twilight hamstery never did respond to me through Facebook but I think they’re based in Stevenage.

Essex isn’t a great place to live for hamster things I find �� I’m based in Colchester and we have pet shops but they overcharge and don’t always sell things that are actually suitable for a hamster. I also don’t know if any exotic vets round here, closest one is London I believe.

All the breeders are listed on here: MHC Breeders – Midland Hamster Club

In the end I got mine on preloved and I picked her up in a tiny cage, with a tiny wheel, she was bar biting like crazy. My partner was sure she’d never change, the first couple of days she nipped us, but since then she’s an angel. We got her in a bigger home with a bigger wheel and she has never nipped us since, even when my partner smothers her with kisses �� lol

I just wanted to mention this just because I want to clarify that just because a hamster is not professionally bred, doesn’t mean they can’t be handled or loveable. I also felt really good adopting as my previous hamster passed away, I think now if I had got a bred one it might’ve made me feel guilty like I was replacing my previous hamster. But by adopting I feel like my previous hamster is probably super happy I’m giving an animal who has be deprived basic needs a good life.

Of course though, adopting probably means they came from a pet store so since they aren’t bred with health in mind, you could find them having shorter life spans so there are options and things to think about. I personally would discourage buying from a pet store as buying from here indirectly supports unethical breeding, even if you are getting a better life. So I would recommend either adopting or getting from a breeder if you can.
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote