View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 06:20 PM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Hamster stressed by lack of space ?

Adding in to what Ria said, I’m guilty of this too with my previous hamster getting taller cages but it’s important that they have a continuous distance to run. I believe even for dwarf hamsters the minimum recommended is 80cm x 50cm (if I’m incorrect please correct me!).

They like a lot of places to hide, as Ria said cardboard boxes are fantastic they also act as a chew toy. I also am a fan of whimzees I swear I go on about them all the time 😂 but they stink if you smell them so it really attracts hamsters but it’s tough enough to keep their teeth down. As a pack they can be quite expensive but my local pet store sells them individually and one can last for a while. It’s important to have a variety of chew toys to file their teeth down other wise overgrown teeth can be an issue.

Absolutely appreciate your initiative of getting a larger home! I’m sure people on here will have some great DIYs for bin cages, I personally when looking into getting a larger cage considered this, but I didn’t have a drill or mesh or zip ties. So it would end up costing me the same if not more than a cage so if you do get a large box consider there does need to be air ventilation and modifications done to make it suitable if your planning as a permanent home.

I’ve been very lucky I managed to get an Alaska home for £20 on Facebook marketplace, gumtree could also be worth a look, I will say though that for me suitable cages second hand seem to be rare. Not sure if you’re in the UK, but sales do go on sometimes, pets at home had a Black Friday deal for the hamster heaven for £55 but for some reason it’s gone? But definitely a good time to look for some good deals if you’re interested in a new cage with Black Friday coming around.

He’s an absolute cutie ❤️ Me and my partner absolutely love our hamster and they really do become part of the family. Wishing you the best of luck!
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote