View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 10:32 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: New Syrian...how to prioritise cage contents...

Hello. I have used that house a few times. There are two options. Either have it sat on the base of the cage as a “subterranean “ house with substrate piled round it. Or put it on legs. To support it (they can get squashed if they burrow underneath and it subsides on them, so it does need either supporting or sitting directly on the cage base).

I prefer the option of legs and it then also creates a kind of shelf or level on top. Rodipet do actually sell slot on legs for that house (but I find I need to saw about an inch off those or the house sits higher than the substrate in the cage - even with the base full of substrate). Or the other option is just glue dowels to it - which I did with our first one before Rodipet invented the legs!

I’ll reply more when on my computer rather than phone as have photos of both as examples.

I don’t think you need worry about filling the cage up - that is just variety and plenty of enrichment- and they need that. Too much open space can actually freak them out a bit.

I’m not sure which wheel you mean as I thought Rodipet only had wood wheels.

I think a shelf is the third important thing - but I don’t use the green shelf the cage comes with - because yes that does mean you can’t fit much in - the shelf and ladder take up too much space.

If you have a look at the let’s see your cages thread you’ll see some examples of set ups and I’ll link Moo’s thread to show you the set up I had in that cage recently. Which was basically-

House at right hand end, wood shelf at left hand end. Wheel on back bars next to shelf. And other bits and pieces. Hanging rat Sputniks are good - it’s a place to go and sit and provides overhead shelter (they also can get freaked out by too much overhead space - which is why a shelf is important ).

Actually the photo isn’t on Moo’s thread - I’ll find it and add it.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote