View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 07:51 AM  
Stubbo
Newborn Pup

Default New Syrian...how to prioritise cage contents...

So it looks like we're getting a Syrian hamster in the family at Christmas. The missus is the driving force (at the moment we have fish and dart frogs which are strictly my domain), but I suspect the hamster will end up under my jurisdiction too, so am doing the research.

So far I've invested in the biggest cage we can find a home for (Savic Plaza 100*50*50), have got a Rodipets 30cm wheel (the slightly angled plastic one), and also a Rodipets Da Vinci multi chamber home (the 6 compartment large one).

Far as I can tell these are all core to well being, as well as a good size sand bath...but am wondering how to make the cage sufficiently enriched once all this stuff is in it.

If the multi chamber hide sits on top of the substrate (assuming I fill the whole base first), then the wheel won't sit on top so will need to be at the other end, and that is all then taking up a lot of the floor space, especially once factoring in a large dish for a sandbath in the enclosure.

I had planned to try a German style running track, but there won't be enough room to do that properly...am thinking I can run plastic tubes around the very top inside edge of the enclosure to make that space accessible and safe, but with the wheel and the sandpit and the hide, won't have much floor space for toys, ground level tubes, etc without it being VERY cluttered.

So the question is, what are the most important components and considerations, should any of what I've already done be compromised on in favour of something else, or are there any hints and tips to maximise what I'm working with?

I could push the hide down to level with top of the substrate to make the roof at "floor" level and the wheel would then sit above it, but then there isn't enough space to burrow under the front edge of the hide...only outside into the rest of the base through the designated hide entrance (all be it there is another entrance on the top), and I certainly won't manage to get 10inches of bedding anywhere in the cage.

Would love ideas, thoughts, experiences etc on what can be done to make the enclosure as optimal as possible for the soon to be new arrival.

Thanks!
Stubbo is offline   Reply With Quote