View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 02:24 PM  
erins_hamsters
Newborn Pup

Default New Hamster Extremely Anxious

I got a Syrian hamster yesterday who I estimate to be about 3 months old. I’ve had 3 dwarf hamsters in the past and obviously they were somewhat skittish when I first brought them home but when I was in the room with them they just wen about their business and explored the cage, even on their first day. My new hamster (Lazslo) however, was extremely anxious when I brought him home yesterday. He tried to jump out of his carrier when the lid was still closed and then when I was putting him in the cage he jumped from the carrier and fell into his hide; he was unhurt but just stood in the corner and stared at me until I left the room. He’s been eating, using his wheel and exploring but every time I walk into the room he just stops dead and stared and then when I turn away and turn back he has goons into hiding. I know it’s very very early days yet, but as he is my first Syrian I’m just worried about wet tail. I’m going to give him at least a week to settle in before taking but I’ve never had a hamster his nervous before so I’m a bit worried. Any tips for putting him more at ease when I enter the room?
erins_hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote