View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 11:37 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hamster chirping

He certainly is chirping isn’t he. I also think he maybe looks a bit swollen but it’s hard to tell, if he has always been a big hamster.

Not all hamsters like sand baths. Roborovski hamsters always need a sand bath but dwarf hamsters don’t necessarily need one. Racing Hamster on here often didn’t use them. So if he’s not interested, I wouldn’t worry about it.

If he has just been treated for mites though, presumably he was given Invermectin. Was that injected or topical? I only mention that because an overdose of that can be toxic and could cause some issues.

How is his behaviour generally? Is he doing all his usual things- eating , active, using his wheel? If so I wouldn’t worry too much. But having a general vet check could be good in case there is any abdominal swelling.

Is he pooping ok? And what nesting material are you using? Some nesting materials can cause intestinal blockages, if chewed or swallowed, and that can cause bloating.

If he has never chirruped before then he clearly is trying to say something. I am not sure how different the respiratory sound is but I think it’s usually more of a clicking noise.

And yes I would hold off doing a cage clean. It can stress them and also make them annoyed. It’s only really necessary to spot clean and not do a full substrate change that often.

Maybe he’s just happy! Or cross.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote