View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 11:27 AM  
broark64
Newborn Pup

Default Afraid Of Mealworm? Wouldn’t Come Out

Worried I’ve ruined our progress on taming and comfort - help?

We’ve had our Chinese dwarf for three weeks now. Her name is Tula and she is a sweet girl but very shy. This past week she had been making such huge steps in taming. She has not yet eaten from my hand but she has gotten right to the edge and sniffed it while also being out more as I’m near her bin cage. This is a huge step from her being terrified of being out at the same time as us. Taming process has been slow but still progressing.

Over the weekend I bought dried mealworms for her to try. I put a whole one in her habitat, on her seesaw where I usually put treats, because I am still seeing what treats she likes. She has a pretty routine schedule of 10pm-5am for activity but last night the pet cam picked up footage of her coming out around midnight where she sniffed the worm then ran back to her burrow. No other sign of her the entire night. Even on her first nights here she came out to run and explore. I’m so worried I’ve stressed my poor baby after she was finally getting comfortable. I have since broken the dried worm into pieces and moved to her food bowl. I’m worried she’ll never leave now or we’re back to square one…
broark64 is offline   Reply With Quote