View Single Post
Old 11-07-2021, 06:42 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Cool Re: Adoption thoughts

I rehome hamsters sometimes and advertise them on sites like pets4homes and preloved.

You'll need to have a criteria people will have to meet and you have to stick to it. That has to be non negotiable.

For example. I will not rehome:
- into an enclosure smaller than 80cmx50cm
- to anybody who subjects a hamster to a hamster ball
- has no time to give to a hamster
- doesn't know about proper hamster care
- can't cover a vet bill
- wants a hamster for a child
- to a minor without checking out the parents first

Write a list and always ask for proof. You need to see a photo of the enclosure and set up and you really have to vet people thoroughly before you consider them suitable to adopt your rabbit.

Some people take offence but that's their problem. The welfare of an animal is more important.

How quickly you find a forever home for your rabbit is down to luck. I've rehomed hamsters within a day and i've had some for months.

I would advertise her everywhere and see what happens. You may be lucky and someone may enquire with the perfect home for her. You won't know unless you try.

I was very tempted to keep my foster Syrian Joe but i already have two Syrians so i've advertised Joe. If someone wants to adopt him who can offer him more than i can then i will let him go. In the end it comes down to what is best for the animal and if you feel that you can't give her what she needs then it is kinder to look for someone who can.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote