View Single Post
Old 11-07-2021, 11:29 AM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: Breeding Basics & Advice

As a breeder myself, I can hardly bash you over the head and this forum itself isn't anti-breeder providing that the breeding is done for the right reasons.

From an ethical standpoint, most breeders will look to breed to improve the species rather than for 'the fun of it' and to be able to do that, I would advise working with a respected breeder to find out about your chosen species of hamster in detail. You'll need to know about things like type (body and head shape), fur colours and quality as well as aspects like size and temperament.

You will need to consider where you will look to rehome any babies that you decide not to keep because Syrian Hamsters can have as many as 20 pups in a litter and how you are going to assess each prospective rehomer for their suitability.

You will also need to think about where you will source your breeding hamsters as there can be issues posed with the unknown ancestry of pet shop animals and there are serious complications that can arise when certain genes are combined.

I had been keeping Chinese Hamsters for some four years before I went into breeding them and prior to doing so, I had worked with a respected breeder for several months to not only source suitable hamsters for breeding but also to gain the knowledge I needed to breed hamsters the right way.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote