View Single Post
Old 11-06-2021, 07:01 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Say hello to Pip (Aka Pipkin)

Haha, they certainly have their ways of telling us what they want.

I've never had much luck with hand taming inside their habitats and always take the hamsters out on neutral ground. Our first Robo Gordon came onto my hand briefly to eat seeeds but it took him three months to pluck up the courage. I couldn't sit in the same position for a long time nowadays because i'd seize up i expect.

You could try taming in a playpen but it takes time for a Robo to get comfortable in new surroundings and they do hide quite a bit at first. Monty runs through tubes while out and sniffs around a lot but Monty being Monty he first of all sits and eats. Took a while for him to become so relaxed when out of his HH. He is easier to scoop up now as well. I put him under my top for a bit so he gets used to my smell and let him go from hand to hand, stroke him etc before i let him run off to the playground.

Personally, i think the only way to tame a Robo is by handling them but the degree of tameness depends on the Robo. A lot of people would probably disagree with that and say wait until the Robo comes to you. Trouble is that they only live for about two years.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote