View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 05:39 AM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Sunflower Seed Controversy

I have Harry hamster food costing only £1-£2 you can get it in most pet stores.

I’ve attached an image to show the mix and you can see there is sunflower seeds but only around two visible so would be around a sunflower seed every other day.

The figures you’ve put are within ranges but you’re at the lower end of the scale for protein, higher end for fats and perfect middle for fibre. For fats it should be 4-7 and it’s better to keep it at the lower end of the scale for allowance for treats. Protein should be 17-19 or 20-24 for anything under 6 months old.

If this was their only diet and you’re additionally adding veggies and mealworms for additional protein it could be a decent mix but means essentially any treats you give them would tip the scale for fats.

Harry hamster is 18 for protein, 6 for fat and 6 for fibre (which is the low end but veggies help this). Of course you could argue this is close as well but it’s just a little more balanced and is inexpensive.

I just think if it is mostly sunflower seeds these are really fatty, like I say it’s perfect for a bird, not so much a hamster.

“ ¼ cup of dry roasted sunflower seeds without salt contains: Calories: 207. Protein: 5.8 grams. Fat: 19 grams.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Food.JPG (2.01 MB, 5 views)
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote