View Single Post
Old 10-27-2021, 06:20 AM  
Kikya
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Travelling by plane with a hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrov View Post
Hi all

I'm thinking about getting a hamster, but I'm in college and travel to visit my parents during breaks. They live about a 2hr plane ride from where I go to school. I was planning on taking the hamster home for summer break (about 3 months), but leaving it with a pet sitter during shorter breaks. My airline allows people to take a small animal with them and keep it under the seat. Is it too stressful for a hamster to ride on a plate a couple times a year? I wanted to check that it's ok before getting one. Thanks!
Hamsters are not great travelers in general. They like to be in safe quiet dark places. Maybe really think about whether or not this is the best time in your life for a pet. Once you take a pet on, it's your responsibility to take care of it for it's entire life. That doesn't mean get rid of it whenever it's inconvenient.

Are you ready for that commitment? Are you ready to have two fully functional cages at both places. I easily spend 300-400 dollars on each hamster cage setup plus food and bedding.

If you aren't thinking 100% excited YES, then maybe rethink the hamster for a few years. Until you have your own place and the hamster doesn't have to move all the time.
Kikya is offline   Reply With Quote