View Single Post
Old 10-26-2021, 05:31 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Upsidedown Trixie wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
I haven't used a 28cm plastic Trixie wheel upside down, only the 20cm ones (which works well as long as the stand fits tightly - it doesn't always). But I have a plastic 28cm Trixie wheel and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work upside down. It's one of the new ones, with a grey metal stand instead of black and in the new colours. I also think the stand might be sturdier than the old versions and it fits the wheel very tightly. I don't think it would fall off it was hung upside down. Possibly they loosen over time, or sometimes once you remove the stand the first time they never fit as well afterwards.

I've also hung a 28cm wooden Trixie wheel upside down by having threaded inserts into the base, then using threaded bolts and washers to hang it from the top of the cage.

This is what I did but without the base attached- which lets the wheel sit a bit higher up off the substrate. So the screws and washers go directly into the stand rather than the base. The base has two screws underneath that go directly up into the stand so I removed those. But the base is then still glued to the stand and wouldn’t pull off (the old ones used to just pull off) so had to part saw it off), Then just re used the screws and they held tight - so the only thing needed was the two washers. It’s very secure even with a huge Syrian like Pickle thundering in it. It’s in the Mickey 2xl (same height as the Hamster Heaven ) so very little space for substrate under the wheel - so by removing the base it allowed for more substrate under the wheel in a low cage. I actually think most wheels spin better upside down - or screwed to the bars like the silent runner is via the spindle.

Attachment 52695

Last edited by Pebbles82; 11-27-2022 at 06:59 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote