View Single Post
Old 10-26-2021, 06:49 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Which size Rodipet Maze?

Hi there. Yes I see the point there. I have the smaller one for robos in a hamster heaven sized cage. I think the rooms are a bit too small for a Russian dwarf. The one for Russian dwarfs, as you say, does seem to have too many small compartments and the house itself is slightly larger (same width but deeper). However it is deeper because the main rooms are slightly larger - more Russian dwarf sized. The little compartments and various accesses look fun though. One of the rear small compartments is underneath the top exit hole - to stop light coming in. The other small ones may or may not be used. They are intended for hoards I think. But I think that house would be better for a Russian dwarf than the Robo sized one.

But I agree the layout is maybe not quite right. In that the back main compartment has a number of doors so a toilet tray would block one or more of the entrances. The layout of the Robo one is better (same layout as the Syrian sized one which I’ve also used). Having said that I think your hamster would enjoy it Lots of places to go.

There are other layout options from Getzoo though. This is one cypher on here has used for a Russian dwarf before, in a Hamster Heaven. It has one main larger room, two “runs”, a ladder to the top entrance, and a smaller compartment off the main room under the ladder. That layout would mean the litter tray and nest in the same larger room which would work fine. But still achieves absolute darkness inside by way of the double entrance (light doesn’t go round corners).

The site is only in German so you may need to use Google translate .

Getzoo Wohnlabyrinth Xena | Hauser | Einrichtung & Zubehor | Getzoo.de

There is also another one on the getzoo site which is smaller but the layout isn’t good as the main room has two exits and becomes a passageway. It is the same layout as the Trixie Leif Labyrinth house. There has been much discussion on here before about ideal layouts. The getzoo one linked seems to work best. However their houses are like the sin houses - they slot together like a jigsaw - which is fine but they still need supporting underneath in case tunnelled under and I’m not sure getzoo sell “legs” for their labyrinth house - so it would mean glueing dowels to the house so it doesn’t sink and squash the hamster if tunnelled under.

Whereas Rodipet sell legs/stilts to fit their labyrinth houses and support them. Although I usually end up chopping bits off those legs anyway or the house sits above the substrate level! Even when the cage has substrate to the brim.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote