View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 04:48 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Travelling by plane with a hamster

There was a lot of talk some years back about which airlines would allow small pets in the cabin (most won’t but it sounds like yours does allow them - and a pet carrier under the seat would be ok).

I actually don’t see it as much different to taking a hamster on a train for two hours- which I hsve had to do before, and if it’s daytime, they usually go to sleep. And railway stations can be a bit noisy as well. But that is usually a one off - eg when you first collect them to take them to their new home.

The other consideration is you would need another decent sized cage at the other end for 3 months and to take some familiar smelling items and bedding from the cage with you to help them settle into the holiday cage on arrival.

I think if it was just once a year it would be ok and leaving a hamster with someone else fir three months wouldn’t be good for them. But bear in mind that by year two - the hamster will be quite old. And it’s travelling twice - there and back each time. The bigger upheaval is likely to be at the end of the three months when the hamster has got used to the new surroundings.

Having said that, if a hamster is bonded with you, I think as long as the familiar person and relationship is there, and familiar items - the change is not too stressful. But fir a hamster that doesn’t get a lot of personal interaction - it may be too much.

If you get a hamster now, then by next summer it should be fully tame and bonded with you - not a frightened baby any more and not yet old - about 7 months old. The following year it would be 19 months old - just past prime but before age 2. So probably ok if the hamster is well. Lifespan for Syrian hamsters is usually between 18 months and 2 years or just over. All of ours have lived to over the age of 2, but by age two are definitely starting to deteriorate a bit.

Although the only time I have taken hansters with is on holiday is because they are old and would decline if separated at that age and left alone or with strangers (just based on my own experience).

So the second summer could be tricky. If your hamster is unwell it may not be able to be moved and need regular medication. If it was fine but became unwell while you were away it may need to be left there. They can take a long time to deteriorate and age.

So it does need thinking ahead a bit.

I think it could work if you are prepared not to go home the second summer of your hamster is unwell and can’t really be moved due to the added stress.

Another option may be to keep a hamster at your parents home - if they are prepared to be involved, make time for it amd look after it. Then you could spend tune with it when you visit. But not that satisfactory an option maybe.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote