View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 11:30 PM  
ShadowNinjaHamster

Default Re: I think my hamster has some health issues? I want to confirm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I wouldn't wash the food. Freezing it should be fine and you've already done that. Completely understand you don't want to do another full cage clean.

How about seeing the vet first and getting your hamster checked. The usual type of mites are demodex mites and they're too small to see - like a tiny black dot. They wouldn't be as big as the ones you have crawling around. The only way to check for those is if the vet does a skin scraping and looks under the microscope. I think that's unlikely. I don't know much about ear mites but a vet could tell.

So rule out anything coming from your hamster before doing another cage clean maybe. Although you will need to do one at some point now if there are bugs there again.

Obviously they're not coming from the wood house if it's fine in the playpen. The other wood toys could have eggs on that hatch out.

I think one step at a time at the moment as your hamster has had quite a bit of upheaval so far. So if the vet gives the hamster the all clear then you know it's something in the cage. If the vet finds it's something on the hamster then you'll be given treatment for that and can do the cage clean after treatment.
Changed the bedding to a paper bedding, before that I cleaned the cage of course and put new food in it and today I saw bugs again. This time he decided to build his nest underground, which makes it more difficult for me to say how many bugs there are. The bugs are still in his nest and there are different kind of bugs. Little red ones and little black ones.
Still no idea what bugs they are, but the good news is that someone else checked them for me as well and my hamster kept looking at me and coming towards me, while not paying any attention to the other person at all, thus I think we have formed an emotional bond. I'll clean my apartment today again.

I was told the bugs could come from anywhere, for example from the window or really, anywhere, but I haven't seen bugs anywhere else but the hamster's cage.

Not sure how I'll bring him to the vet as it's kinda cold outside too. I should've done it in Summer. Also, I might give my hamster some cheese, but I am still very hesitant. I don't want him to die, but yeah, the bugs might be from anywhere. I haven't seen any on my hamster though. I'm kinda hoping he just kills the bugs when he sees them.
ShadowNinjaHamster is offline   Reply With Quote