Thread: Always digging!
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 07:44 AM  
mdrnao
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Always digging!

Thank you! I have a small shelf that I'm planning on adding to the smaller side - I just need to cut off the end so it doesn't interfere with the plexiglass doors. But I like the idea of the super long bridges. Millet sprays last two seconds with this guy so I've stopped adding them in, but the little man who lives above has them dotted about as he's not much of a hoarder.

Wicker I've always worried can capture little toes - am I being too paranoid?

This set up is very much unique to my flat and hamsters (who aren't escape artists) - it's a very drafty Edwardian 4th floor tenement in Scotland so I typically have the opposite problem to others! I had a decent footprint to work with, but I needed two cages which limited a lot of the options. I also wanted something that felt more adult than two cages on a shelf since they're in my living room.

I started with a two inch gap around the top which was meshed, but the temperature gage before we put them in was always lower than I'd like so we replaced the larger back board to close it in. If anyone is interested in building it themselves I have it all planned out for much better ventilation!

The sides and sliding doors aren't sealed, and the door on the shallow side I leave slightly open when the wind/temperature allows. There's also extra "breathing room" by keeping the shelves spaced out and adding height. Once I get my flat's drafts under control - I'll add a ventilation gap again by trimming the back boards down so the entire width of the cage has a two inch gap at the top (you can just about see on the full height photo I posted first there's enough room to poke your finger in!).
mdrnao is offline   Reply With Quote