View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 09:39 AM  
velma

Default Re: Stressed out neophyte hamster owner seeking reassurance

Hi, welcome to HC! Albert sounds lovely. It can be hard to know what to do for the best. But it sounds like you're doing fine. It's still very early days. Some things on youtube can make it look like a hamster settled in straight away because there's not really a timescale you can see and make you feel like you're somehow doing it wrong. But all hamsters are different. You've had Albert less than a week and he's had some big changes in that time. He's come home to you and he's still settling in plus he's had a change of home in that time. So two lots of settling in, in a week. He's finding his feet. Have you got plenty of cover in your new tank? I find cardboard boxes with holes cut in are good free option from the recycling. He may be feeling a bit exposed and it's making him a little timid. You can help him get used to your scent & therefore you (and your son) by popping some cheap, white, unscented loo roll down your top for a while and then popping it in his tank ripped up for him to use as nesting material. But mostly I've found with mine, that slow and steady wins the race. Chat away to him when you're near the cage and when you're changing his food and water. Gently rustle his bedding while you're in there so he gets used to that. I have things like sunflower seeds on hand so if he pops is nose out, you can hold one out for him - I've found that my timid ones get a bit braver when there is a treat on offer! But mostly, don't worry, you'll get there. He'll get a bit braver and you'll learn is personality and you'll get there between you.
velma is offline   Reply With Quote