View Single Post
Old 10-16-2021, 01:52 PM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default New hamster very scatty

I got Mitzi (female Syrian hamster - 4 months old) 4 days ago, so I know she’s still very new to everything.

I collected her in her Savic Bristol with 12cm silent spinner, and have transferred her to a cage I got, it’s 70cm x 50cm but I’m hoping to upgrade to 100cm x 50cm. I only got the cage just in case a rescue opportunity came along, and I’m glad I kept it because from images I thought she came with a savic plaza, not a small Bristol.

She was clearly very frustrated being in such a small home with no suitable wheel to run in. She is actually quite large so I’ve had a 21cm wheel that was suitable for my previous hamster who was very petite, but I’ve noticed even in that she bends slightly so got a 28cm one arriving tomorrow which will hopefully help.

Point is, I get she’s been cooped up so far for her life, so she probably has a lot of energy to disperse. She is coming out which I’m surprised about this early on. She’s very jumpy though understandably, but when I have her out she’s sprinting and chewing everything! Same in her cage.

I have a large array of chew toys; wood, pine cones, whimzees dog chews, seed blocks. Loads to chew on. But she chews on everything. She hasn’t bitten us yet luckily but has attempted to nip. She just never slows down!

I use a tub to get her out in and she should enter the olympics for high jump. I’m not forcing her in the tub, she goes in on her own accord and as soon as I pull it out the cage she leaps out and sprints off again. She wakes up at 7pm and some when I wake at 8am sometimes she’s still up!

I know she’s young, I know she’s been cooped up, and I know it’s very early days. But do some Syrian hamsters stay forever this energetic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mitzi stunned.jpg (123.7 KB, 24 views)
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote