View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 03:44 AM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Introducing Mitzi - plus questions

As some already know, a little over two weeks ago my gorgeous Daf-daf made her way to the big wheel in the sky ❤️ I love and SERIOUSLY miss her.

However I really missed the routine, and soon I saw on preloved a little girl called Nibbles no longer wanted by the family. She was very close and I went the next day to get her. It is soon but I’m really happy I got her to be honest, as I was a bit shocked how she was kept.

They were lovely people but from the pictures I was excited to see she came with a savic plaza (could only see the colours). When I got there it was a Savic Bristol with a wheel big enough for a dwarf hamster, and the bed was the same.

On the journey back she was climbing the walls biting, she did try and nibble me. I moved her wheel down as it was so high she couldn’t even get on it but I reckon it could’ve caused some back damage as it was such a small wheel. It was quite funny as even on the car journey with tight corners she was still running in this wheel!

As soon as I got home she went in the bigger cage with the right sized wheel. I thought it would take some time before she’d stop nibbling but as soon as I put her in the cage, she hasn’t bit us once! She was absolutely sprinting in that wheel.

Today is day three of her being here, first day we just let her be in her new cage and she is so energetic! We picked her up 7pm that evening, and I woke at 8am and she was still up! Even yesterday she got up around 7pm and she was running all over the place. I know it’s early but I let her out the cage and that actually seemed to calm her down a lot. (Maybe wanted to see her surroundings?)

Unfortunately, every time she hears that door goes now she’s sprinting as she knows that means she gets to come out 😂 I think part of it was just being cooped up in a small cage and not being able to run around, and also she’s young so I’m hoping in the next couple of weeks she calms down a bit!

Also I changed her name from Nibbles to Mitzi, I don’t mind Nibbles but as she hadn’t had much attention her life, Nibbles didn’t seem like a thought out name for her as she doesn’t really have a foodie personality. So Mitzi felt nicer, and Nibbles is her nickname so she keeps it somewhere still.

Questions though!

- Ironically as I wrote this she came out for a drink, but I put a sticker on the water bottle when we got her (to check if the water level went down), and was trying to see her drink some water from her old bottle with no luck. I guess she knows where the bottle is as she just got some but she doesn’t seem to drink much at all. Is this normal?

- she seems quite chubby on the pictures but I can feel her ribs. I’m going to weigh her today as I’m confused how she could’ve been so inactive before and still be underweight. Does feeling ribs mean she’s underweight? She has eaten while being here.

- She’s made a bed under the platform with paper bedding, any advice where I could buy an inexpensive appropriately sized home for her, or is it actually better to let her sleep with no home as the option is there, and she’s chosen to burrow?

- this is quite funny but a little weird. The shelf is near the wheel and around five times now she’s sat with her bum on the shelf. And sprinted against the wheel so almost like she’s running on top of the wheel but can stop anytime she wants. Is that normal?

She’s seems so much happier than when we got her though so I’m very excited to look after her!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mitzi 1.jpg (1.71 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Mitzi 2.JPG (2.25 MB, 13 views)
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote