Thread: Rescue hamster
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 02:08 AM  
Sara H
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Rescue hamster

He had been in the rescue centre since March so I felt sorry for the poor guy. The rescue centre met me half way with him as they are based about an hour and a half away from Leeds. They said he had a health check before being adopted and the vet checked his mobility, for any neuro disorders and a pin prick to check for infection. Apart from the mobility side of it, I haven't heard of the other two checks for hamsters.

They have offered to pay the cost of the vets but take him back and I don't believe that's the best thing for him. He is part of my family now so I am prepared to look after him the best I can. It's just so unfortunate that I have just nursed my little old lady Winnie who was a tiny Robo for 3 months before she passed away so I wasn't expecting so much worry again so soon but on the plus side, I am used to dealing with tiny amounts of meds and he is the first hamster I have had that will take it straight from the syringe which is amazing.

As he's been on a course of antibiotics and pain meds for one week which I feel has helped a bit with his balance, what do you guys think about the vet having a better look at him under anaesthetic? This would usually be my go to if nothing else is available as they are so tiny and he is just over a year old.
Sara H is offline   Reply With Quote