View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 01:08 PM  
Victoriaraechelfan
Newborn Pup

Default New hamster owner..worried

Hello, i haven’t had a hamster since I was a child and I just got a male Syrian hamster who’s about 8 weeks old and he’s sleeping a lot! I’ve noticed he’s awake and very lively from about 2am-8am and then doesn’t leave his nest/house any other time in the day and just goes toilet and eats in his bed where he stored food. Is this normal? We’ve had him 4 days and haven’t held him yet and been very careful to not scare him or stress him out but is he maybe just scared of us? Or extra sleepy because he’s so young?

We also had a scare 2 days ago when his bedding was soaked in red urine that I thought was blood, but he had eaten carrot so could it have been dyed red from that? We took away the carrot and by the next day his urine was normal colour again, but I’m still worried incase it was blood, however apart from sleeping a lot he looks healthy, his ears are perky, his face looks bright and normal, he’s eating and drinking, and runs like crazy on his wheel and is busy making nests so doesn’t seem unwell when he’s awake. If anyone has any advice or reassurance I would be so grateful I’m so nervous all the time checking he’s alive and worrying I’m doing something wrong! Thanks!
Victoriaraechelfan is offline   Reply With Quote