View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 05:42 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Say hello to Pip (Aka Pipkin)

Thank you Meeekie. He is invisible lol. Today is two weeks since he arrived, so had his settling in time. But we never see him. Only comes out after lights out at night. I’ve seen him a few times when I got up in the middle of the night (he doesn’t run and hide) but other than that only on the hamstercam recording. Before I got him they said he came out in the afternoons and late at night. That might have changed- different environment, bigger cage.

I might start putting his food out in the afternoons instead and see if that tempts him out. It doesn’t tempt him out at night! Pickle comes out as soon as he smells good and hears the cage opening. Pip waits till lights out.

Slight concern is - where the veg is going with Pip! Like our last Robo he just nibbles a bit and leaves the rest on the dish. Which is what he did the first few nights do I could remove the leftover bit next day. Recently there has been nothing left to remove so suspect he is stashing it somewhere. But where? Don’t fancy having rotten veg in the cage. I well remember finding a rotting blueberry in Nugget’s cage with a few bugs crawling out of it! But at least Nugget’s veg etc were usually left accessible! Spot cleaning could be interesting. I may have to peek in his house now but I have a feeling he’s tunnelled under it and nesting under the bendy bridge. Anyway - probably that end of the cage where he’s hoarding.

I’d like to try and progress taming a bit this week. Beyond chatting through the bars in the middle of the night! He didn’t freak at a hand in the cage but wouldn’t take sunflower seeds from it. Although he doesn’t actually seem that interested in sunflower seeds and leaves them when put out in the cage. Need to find his preference. But - I do remember an article on a Robo breeder’s website saying robos aren’t tempted by food so not a good ruse for taming.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote