View Single Post
Old 10-02-2021, 10:42 AM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Syrian hamster died one year old with bloated tummy

The reason I want to wait personally is because when I was around ten, I had a Russian dwarf, and again she was a lovely hamster. Very lucky.

She lived until after two years old which I know is good for that species, but I was distraught as she passed away whilst in another persons care while I was on holiday.

My mum offered me a new hamster, and I thought it would cheer me up, so I got two male robovski hamsters.

It’s not that I hated them at all, I just always felt guilty as I felt it was almost replaced my old hamster which wasn’t true. And it didn’t help despite being siblings they always fought so I had to separate them.

It’s just the first couple of weeks were hard to care for them after just losing my previous hamster, and that first couple of weeks ruined the foundation of the remaining relationship.

In the end I did connect to them somewhat but I never felt as attached as my previous hamster. And I always knew that was unfair on them also. They did have good lives still, and I handled them a lot. I just always felt guilt when I handled them.

That’s why I don’t want to rush into a new hamster as I have made this mistake before and regretted it. Any hamster I get I want to be ready and give it the fullest life possible.
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote