View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 03:06 PM  
lualaug
Newborn Pup

Default Chewing through cage

Hi everyone,
I posted back in may about my new hamster, drizzle, chewing the bars of her cage. In that post I said how I got her new cage that was had no bars an bigger than her previous one. Unfortunately she escaped that one so I then got her another commercial cage that was (100cm x 50cm) and also had no bars (attached here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferplast-Ma...1&rdc=1&sr=8-7 ). She has now started to chew a small Hole in the side of the base.
She doesn’t seem to show any other stress symptoms apart from this and is happy to be handled.
One end of the cage has bedding nearly up to the top of the cage and she has a lot of things to chew (which she does do a lot). She obviously also has the basic necessities (wheel etc). She also gets to run around for around 20 minutes a night in my house hallway
I’ve read that some hamsters do just chew the cage more than others but the thing is I can’t afford to keep buying her new cages and I don’t have room for a deltof (the perfect solution, I know).
I just want to make her happy and I’ve tried so hard to do that. I have considered giving her up but the thought of her possibly going to a home where she has less than what I’m giving breaks my heart. I don’t want to give her up, I care about her a lot but i feel like I’m failing her.
Anyway any reassurance or tips are much appreciated.
Thanks so much
lualaug is offline   Reply With Quote